Fondation Lélo Fiaux

arrow icon


Attached to the Musée Jenisch Vevey in 1984, the Fondation Lélo Fiaux was created after the death of the Swiss artist in 1964. Its primary purpose is to promote and preserve the work of Lélo Fiaux (about 2000 watercolours, 300 paintings, photographic and manuscript archives). It also actively supports Swiss artistic creation through annual acquisitions which it donates to the museum, as well as through a prize awarded periodically.


A student of André Lhote in Paris and initially married to the American surrealist photographer Harry Long, Lélo Fiaux (1909-1964) practised painting and watercolour throughout her life, using the flamboyant colours of the countries she discovered on her palette: Tahiti, Morocco, Italy, etc. The woman whom Moravia would later describe as a "hippie ante litteram" made her travels the driving force behind her art. She sketched the scenes of daily life that she observed between Rome, Paris, Spain and Greece and photographed the many personalities she met (Alberto Moravia, Henriette Grindat, etc.).


A free artist and independent woman, Lélo Fiaux settled in 1957 in Saint-Saphorin (Vaud) where many musicians, painters, writers and photographers gravitated towards her extraordinary personality.


President: André Corbaz